Monday, September 14, 2015

Door County Mini Album and Keeping It Simple!

After a long hiatus from blogging, I have finally returned.  Today I want to show you what I've been working on and talk a little bit about keeping it simple.  

My family and I went to Door County for our summer vacation this year.  I knew I wanted to do a 6x8 album for the trip.  I chose the teal Snap by Simple Stories 6x8.  I purchased some of the new Dear Lizzy Documentary line and planned on using quite a bit of my stash as well! 






I made a few shaker pockets with my Fuse Tool from American Crafts.  One was filled with a sequin mix from a seller on Folksy named Lucy's Cards.  The other one is filled with sand from the beach we went to and a few gold sequins.

I have been using my antique typewriter for journalling.  I type on heavyweight white paper and cut strips to add to my pages.  

When I first started Project Life it would take me hours to complete a two page spread.  There are just so many cards and options!  Over the years I have sped my process up quite a bit!  Here is what I do:

1.  Choose only 5 or 6 items.  Pick a few cards or papers that coordinate.  An ephemera pack.  Wood veneer.  Enamel dots or jewels.  Tiny word stickers.  Thickers.

2.  Pictures tell the story.  Use your best pictures.  Read blogs and study up on how to take the best possible pictures you can for your project.  There are a lot of online resources.  Choose a photo editing software that you can afford and use easily.  After all, why spend money on all the cool papers and embellishments if you are just going to scrap dark, blurry pictures!?!

3.  Don't use only one collection.  As much as I love certain collections and must purchase EVERY LAST BIT of some of them, if you use only one, your project can look kind of flat.  I suggest using a mix of collections from the same season to coordinate to make you projects really pop.  Check out Hip Kit Club to see how their master-kit-maker, Kimberly, uses a mix of products from various manufacturers to make amazing kits every month.

4.  Journal, journal, journal!  Tell your story!  I am passionate about documenting my family and the adventures of our everyday life!  Sure, the pictures are pretty, but they are just pictures without the journalling.  

Thank you if you got this far and get out there and document your life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment